Designmuseum Danmark is Denmarks largest museum for Danish and international design and a central exhibition forum for industrial design and applied arts in Scandinavia. The museum’s collections, library and archives constitute a central resource centre for the study of design and its history in Denmark. The museum brings together and documents the contemporary developments within industrial design, decorative and applied arts. We must add to this the collection of exemplary works from older “areas” and periods, which are closely related to contemporary oeuvres.
Since 1926, Designmuseum Danmark has been housed in one of Copenhagen’s finest rococo buildings, the former King Frederik’s Hospital. This edifice was built during the reign of King Frederik V in the years 1752-57 to designs by the architects Nicolai Eigtved and Lauritz de Thurah. In the early 1920s the building was renovated and refurbished to suit museum purposes by the architects Ivar Bentsen and Kaare Klint.
Unveiled on 23 August 1913, ‘The Little Mermaid’ was a gift from Danish brewer Carl Jacobsen to the City of Copenhagen. The sculpture is made of bronze and granite and was inspired by Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tale about a mermaid who gives up everything to be united with a young, handsome prince on land. Every morning and evening she swims to the surface from the bottom of the sea and, perched on her rock in the water, she stares longingly towards the shore hoping to catch a glimpse of her beloved prince.
Carl Jacobsen fell in love with the character after watching a ballet performance based on the fairy tale at the Royal Danish Theatre. The brewer was so captivated by both the fairy tale and the ballet that he commissioned the sculptor Edvard Eriksen to create a sculpture of the mermaid. Eriksen’s wife, Eline Eriksen, posed for the sculpture.
Please note that you have to ask for permission to use photos of The Little Mermaid. Please e-mail information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Find more information here: http://www.mermaidsculpture.dk.
The Anglican (Episcopal) church in Copenhagen was erected 1887 in British gothic style. A fine example of Victorian church architecture. The beautiful site of the church is due to its royal connections - the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, was married to a Danish princess. Open to the public from Easter to September or by previous arrangement.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA